Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Is it the British Parliament on C-SPAN?

I thought it was for a moment while I was listening to Obama's speech in my car on the way home from work this afternoon. Right after Obama told the joint session of Congress that any health care bill signed by him would not provide free access for illegal aliens, I heard a low ruckus from the audience, and one member yell, "You lie!" Wow! I don't think I have ever heard anything like that emanate from a congressional audience while any president - Democrat or Republican - was speaking. I am by no means saying it has never happened; I have just never heard it until today.

What was really funny was watching the footage of the incident on YouTube when I got home. When I merely heard it on the radio, I could not see Obama's reaction, and I certainly could not see the look of consternation on Pelosi's tightly stretched mug.

Check it out if you haven't already seen it:



For the record, the man who yelled was Republican Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina. In true squishy Republican fashion, Wilson later issued an apology for his actions. The problem with doing that is that Obama was indeed lying. When Republicans tried to insert language into a possible health care bill that would have specifically excluded funding of illegal aliens and abortion, both amendments were voted down by the Democrats.

Good Day to You, Sir

2 comments:

Larry Sheldon said...

"Wow! I don't think I have ever heard anything like that emanate from a congressional audience while any president - Democrat or Republican - was speaking. I am by no means saying it has never happened; I have just never heard it until today."

I don't think President Bush was ever allowed to speak without boos and cat-calls.

W.R. Chandler said...

Admittedly, I am notorious for skipping State of the Union speeches because they are like watching paint peel.

I have since been schooled by watching footage of Bush's 2005 SOTU speech where he was booed and catcalled. I should probably post it.