Thursday, May 29, 2008

They're so ignorant, they can't even insult you correctly

These students of mine make it oh so easy...

I ended 6th period a few minutes early so I could sign the many permission forms that are due tomorrow so the 8th graders can go on their end-of-year trip. While I was busy signing forms, a student wrote "Mr. Chanman is a faget" on the whiteboard on the other side of the room.

I looked up from signing to check on the class, and that's when I noticed what the student had written. Naturally, the rest of the class was waiting with part trepidation, part anticipation to see what my reaction would be. Without missing a beat, I said, "Uh, Moron, you misspelled that last word," and then I went right back to signing more permission forms. Instead of laughing at me, everyone looked at the student who obviously had written the spelling-challenged insult and made fun of him instead.

Moron.

Good Day to You, Sir

12 comments:

Larry Sheldon said...

A family legend has it that my father's father, a high school Physics teacher in California's Central Valley long long ago once gave a student a "C" for answering the test question "What did you learn in this class this semester?" with "Not a dam thing".

Points taken off for spelling, sentence construction and grammar would have given a grade of "A".

(Kids now days think they have it tough. My father's mother taught grammar school and was his teacher a lot of his grammar school career.)

W.R. Chandler said...

I had my mother for English my senior year in high school.

I got a "B"

Anonymous said...

Me didd not eva take speling and I grudated from scool with deploma.

Anonymous said...

I would have gotten up, grabbed a red marker, corrected that shit, and gone back to signing. :)

You handled it quite well. :)

Dan Edwards said...

L. O. L. !!!! Once in awhile, students in my class come across some grafitti along the lines of "F--- Polski". When the discovering students tell me about it, I sometimes reply, that I at least hope it was a female student who wrote that!. I know, BAD, BAD, BAD. Ya gotta have thick skin to teach.

Don, American Idle said...

I remember many years ago, in Illinois, I lived next door to a beauty parlor. On Halloween, one of my genius students wrote "Fuk you XXXXXX" on their window. I never saw it, as far as he was concerned.

Law and Order Teacher said...

Nicely done. An artist always wants appreciation for his work. This "oxygen processor" didn't get his recognition. A bitter pill to swallow I'm sure.

Texas Truth said...

chanman: Great comeback. I use techniques like that everyday. CONGRATS AND TAKE A BOW!!!

Anonymous said...

For the senior prank, the seniors TP'd the front of school and wrote messages in chalk. One was "king of the shcool".

The vice principal took a picture.
The faculty lounge agreed we should find this one and tell him "we're sorry we made a mistake, you're really not ready to graduate."

Anonymous said...

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you, Chanman; this late in the year it is hard to keep your wits about you when dealing with young'ns.

I remember having to correct a young man's work one day to inform him that a woman of low virtues was not the same thing as a garden tool. He looked at me incredulously and asked, "you mean it starts with a "w"?"

Ahh, the joys of educating!

Mrs. Bluebird said...

You rock, sir.