Saturday, October 06, 2007

More realism at the movies

Last week, I posted a YouTube clip of Tom Cruise demonstrating an awesome and accurate display of shooting from the movie Collateral. That set me to thinking of what other movie scenes are out there that have left me similarly breathless, but that you might not have necessarily seen. For instance, the D-Day scene from Saving Private Ryan is way up there on my list, but I think most people have seen it. The botched bank robbery firefight from the movie Heat isn't nearly as well known. But for my money, I cannot think of a more true-to-life depiction of shots being exchanged between criminal and cop. Accurate details to look for: shooting through the windshield from inside the car (none of this business of hanging your body halfway out the window), the speed and accuracy by which Val Kilmer reloads his weapon, the fire and maneuver strategy of the criminals, the lack of musical score playing during the scene, the sociopathy displayed by the criminals as they use innocent bystanders for cover, and care not a whit if bystanders get in the line of fire. If you have never seen this firefight, you are in for a treat. Be warned however that there is violence and bloodshed depicted.



Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: