Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Devil made me do it?

Not according to Dennis Prager. The man who is arguably my favorite radio talk host writes in his latest column about what motivates people to commit evil acts, and it is probably not what you think. After going through the litany of common factors (Devil, genes, money, upbringing, etc.), Prager once again makes the complex, simple:
Victimhood. A lifelong study of good and evil has led to me conclude that the greatest single cause of evil is people perceiving of themselves or their group as victims. Nazism arose from Germans' sense of victimhood -- as a result of the Versailles Treaty, of the "stab in the back" that led to Germany's loss in World War I and of a world Jewish conspiracy. Communism was predicated on workers regarding themselves as victims of the bourgeoisie. Much of Islamic evil today emanates from a belief that the Muslim world has been victimized by Christians and Jews. Many prisoners, including those imprisoned for horrible crimes, regard themselves as victims of society or of their upbringing. The list of those attributing their evil acts to their being victims is as long as the list of evildoers.
This is why I think Prager is a G-d.

Good Day to You, Sir

2 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

So is that why people continue to defend Mike Vick? Because he's a victim? Boy, I'd love to be a victim with 100 million in the bank! Where do I sign up?

Anonymous said...

I think that much history curriculum is taught as victim/victimizer and that certain communities within our schools take more interest if it is taught that way. They somehow feel empowered. Strange how victimhood can motivate? But the real empowerment comes from believing, as Dr. Laura says all the time, "I am not a victim".