Monday, November 28, 2011

It's like I'm a kid again!

But not in a good way. Several times during my childhood, I suffered from bouts of Strep Throat, but I had yet to suffer from it as an adult... until now.

My son has it too; we both caught it while visiting relatives in Las Vegas. A doctor friend of my wife's told her that the streptococcus bacteria that causes this horrid condition thrives in desert conditions.

So here we sit today at home, playing hooky from school and work. We have a 10:30am appointment to pick up our anti-biotics, and we can't get them soon enough. I don't know if you the readers have ever had strep, but it makes you feel like you are swallowing a handful of thumbtacks... if you are even able to swallow at all; my uvula - you know, the hanging thingy at the back of your throat that causes the gag reflex - is swollen to at least four times its normal size and is resting on the back of my tongue, causing me to gag - how ironic; add to this the requisite fever, chills, body aches, and headaches, and you have one heck of an affliction on your hands.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for you current medical affliction. How coincidental that my son suffered from several bouts of strep throat (and even scarlet fever: with the torso rash) during his childhood. Now my son is passing on the propensity to HIS son! Get well!

Darren said...

Cosmic payback for such a great vacation--no good deed goes unpunished?

Hope you and the boy are feeling well, and soon.