Wednesday, March 16, 2011

If this is what you call slavery, then sign me up!

The NFL is currently undergoing labor negotiations between players and owners. In truth, I don't really give a rip about the NFL or any other professional sports. If all professional sports were ended tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me all that much. I didn't used to think that way, but I have for about the last decade.

Comments like the one made the other day by the players' union spokesman make me that much more cynical towards professional sports and the knuckleheads who dominate the rosters.

Speaking about the team owners, union spokesman and Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson had this to say:
"The players are getting robbed. They are. The owners are making so much money off of us to begin with. I don't know that I want to quote myself on that...
It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too..."
Looks like Peterson skipped his history classes at the University of Oklahoma. For the record, Adrian Peterson's base salary with the Vikings is $10.72 million, and that is not counting his endorsement deals. The minimum base pay for an NFL player is $310,000, with that amount rising to $460,000 after two years.

Slavery certainly has changed since the mid-19th century has it not?

If Adrian Peterson is going to remain the NFL players union spokesmen, then what little sympathy these overpaid participants in a child's game currently receive, is going to shrivel up to nothing.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

1 comment:

Darren said...

Did he sign that contract of his own free will? I don't recall that slaves ever did that.

I was downtown at the National Money Show yesterday. One dealer had 19th century slave sale documents (from Cuba, so in Spanish) for sale. Just looking at them gave me pause.