Thursday, August 19, 2010

You mess with the bull, you get the horns

For this week at least, I have a new hero, and that is the bovine ballbuster who went out in a blaze of glory by going after the misguided Spanish attendees of a bullfighting match who moments earlier, were cheering the imminent torture and demise of the bull in question.

To those people in the stands who received the smackdown, all I can say is: You play, you pay.



Go Bull!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

Darren said...

I went to a bullfight when I visited Acapulco in 1986. While I did find it somewhat barbaric, I considered it a cultural experience. I hear that our own practices in chicken farms/ranches would make bullfights seem tame by comparison, and blood sport has a long history amongst humans.

Anyway, this woman in front of me (I was in the "tourist" section) kept whining about how cruel this was, how primitive it was, how "they" shouldn't do this anymore, and I eventually had enough of it. I finally spoke up and said something very close to, "Do you know what they do with the bull after it's killed? They give the meat to local orphanages, so the kids will have something to eat tonight. And at least the bull here has a fighting chance, which is more than I can say for your Burger King Whopper!" Incredibly, that shut her up.

Still, it's hard as an American not to root for the underdog, so Go Bull!

W.R. Chandler said...

I'm OK with killing cows; hamburgers and steak are dee-lish. I just don't like the idea of tormenting the animal before his demise.

And I don't think bullfighting should be banned either. If these people want to treat animals cruelly like this, then that is their choice. However, I will giggle with delight when the animal strikes back as it did.