Monday, November 09, 2009

Note to self: Challenging an Obamabot is hazardous to your drycleaning bill

Wow! What a night! This afternoon, I received an invitation from a friend of mine who works for the Republican party at the California state Capitol to attend a book signing at an Irish pub in downtown Sacramento. The book signing was for author Stevan Allen, who wrote his memoirs of his time in Germany during the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and 1990. Seeing as how today is the 20th anniversary of that event, the timing for this event was impeccable.

I bought the book - entitled Roaming Ghostland: The Final Days of East Germany - and got it signed by the author. After that, my friend and I stood at the bar and enjoyed the complimentary adult beverages that were being served at the generous expense of Mr. Allen. My friend and I struck up a conversation with a middle-aged woman next to us, and the conversation was pleasant enough. Very soon however, her ramblings revealed to us that she was a raving leftist lunatic. When that became apparent, my friend excused himself and wandered away from the bar with a knowing smile and slight shake of the head. I knew that he had reached his limit of looniness, but I just couldn't help myself; I continued to engage the woman in conversation.

At some point, our conversation drifted to Barack Obama. The question of his citizenship came up. I said to her - and I quote - "I'm sure that Obama is a U.S. citizen and that he was born in Hawaii; but I can't help but wonder why he has spent almost $2 million dollars on lawsuits where he has fought requests for him to release his long-form birth certificate and other records." For the record, I believe that Obama really was born in Hawaii, but I have to admit, I really do wonder why he has fought so hard to release any of his records that could conclusively prove as much.

The woman's response of course was to insist that Obama had indeed released his birth certificate. I retorted that while he had released a computer-generated form from the state of Hawaii that is labeled as a Certificate of Live Birth, he had not released his LONG-FORM birth certificate that lists his delivering doctor, or the precise hospital at which he was delivered. After insisting that Obama has released this information (he hasn't), the woman changed her argument, insisting that at least Obama has reversed George W. Bush's policies, including her assertion that Obama has closed the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I retorted that Obama has NOT closed Guantanamo. She said that Obama "plans on closing Guantanamo," to which I said, "He has not closed Guantanamo." After that, every excuse she gave me about his intentions was met by my retort/question: "Has he closed Guantanamo?"

After a few of my retorts where I asked this same exact question, do you know what this woman did? She poured her beer over my head. I shit you not, she poured her beer over my head, and then stormed away. I immediately sought out my friend, who took this photo with his Blackberry:


As she poured her beer over my noggin, I briefly contemplated the possibility of smacking her upside the head, as technically, she was committing the crime of assault upon me. In the end, I decided to go the Gandhi/MLK route and let her go right ahead with her actions. In fact, I lowered my head to give her an easier target. The sympathetic bartenders handed me a towel and looked for this woman, but she had made a cowardly exit out of the bar. I thanked the bartenders for the towel and told them not to bother looking for the woman; I looked at my stained shirt as a badge of honor. It was such an education to be given such treatment by this Obamabot. When you are trying to defend the indefensible, what other choice do you have than to lash out against the person who is asking you such uncomfortable questions?

The best part is that soon after this Obama-worshipping woman poured her beer over my head, I ran into Darren Miller of the blog Right on the Left Coast (see my blogroll), who happened to be in the same bar because Monday night is Trivia Night at that establishment. I got to tell him all about my adventure.

What an enlightening and instructive night!

Good Day to You, Sir

5 comments:

Darren said...

As I said last night, *that* is how people act when they have no argument.

Notice how the left is getting more physically violent? Isn't that at all creepy?

Anonymous said...

Kinda makes me happy to know you. As always, impressed with your courage--I'm more like your friend who wandered away, so I'm quite glad there are folks like you about.

Rebecca D said...

Wow. You don't look like the mental picture I had of you at all.
Anyway. . . my completely unsupported opinion about the Obama birth certificate issue:
a. The administration figures that continuing to answer and provide evidence will do nothing but encourage the people that do not think he's a citizen to continue to file lawsuits, because he's engaging with them.
b. If Hillary Clinton didn't bring this up during the primaries, he must really be a citizen. Do you really think she'd let that opportunity slide? Hillary?! Really?
Lol
Enjoy reading your thoughts!

W.R. Chandler said...

Rebecca,
John McCain's natural-born status was questioned as well, having been born in the Panama Canal Zone. Congress even held hearings regarding this matter.

McCain produced his long-form birth certificate, Congress found that he was eligible, end of story.

Is it too much to ask that Obama be held to the same standard? He wasn't: no congressional hearings, no long-form birth certificate produced.

As for your argument that no one brought this up during the campaign, it wasn't for lack of trying. McCain - showing himself for the squish that he is - forbade his campaign from pursuing the matter, and yes, Hillary too. If you hadn't noticed, once Obama came along, Hillary was shoved to the side by the Obama-worshipping media. I'm sure Hillary saw the writing on the wall as well. It's not hard to see that they knew if they pushed the issue, they would be painted as racist xenophobes by the media. Isn't that exactly what is happening to people now whenever they bring up this issue regarding Obama?

Stevan Allen said...

Hey, man. You're a damn funny writer. Thanks for coming to the Monday night Berlin Wall party, buying my book and celebrating the occasion. I cracked up when I saw this picture because I remember it being taken but didn't know the context. My teenager got a kick out of you guys. Glad to know there are interesting and interested people out there.

What is your direct email? i'm a blogger too, although more to the center.

Best, Stevan