Sunday, October 04, 2009

I was wondering when this was going to be addressed

I must admit that I experienced a rather intense case of schadenfreude when our Dear Leader Obama fell flat on his face in his effort to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago.

Although I was pleased to hear that the Olympics were instead awarded to a city, country, and continent that has never before hosted an Olympic Games, one of my first thoughts about the location was concern about Rio de Janeiro's crime problem.

It didn't take long for me to trip across an article where someone else expressed similar concern.

Not only did Rio - a city of 7 million people - suffer through just over 2,000 murders last year, what makes that number worse is that 20% of those murders were committed by the city's policemen!

Like any upcoming host city, Rio has its work cut out for it.

Good Day to You, Sir

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone else said, I'm just echoing it - Pres. Obama fails to win over an Olympic Committee and is expected to charm Iran?

George