Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A trip to the human zoo

Can you imagine a conservative guy like myself walking the streets of Berkeley, California? Two days ago, I was. On Sunday afternoon, my wife and I drove to Berkeley to see her favorite band Counting Crows in concert on the campus of UC Berkeley.

We arrived at the campus about two hours before the concert, found a choice parking spot, then walked a short distance from the campus to the heart of Berkeley on Telegraph Avenue. To make the experience even more laughable, there was some sort of street fair going on which closed Telegraph Avenue to vehicles, so it was foot traffic only. Every kind of freakazoid you can imagine or not even comprehend could be found during the walk my wife and I took down Telegraph Avenue. There was a scuzzy bearded urban outdoorsman (homeless guy) walking down the sidewalk telling people to go fuck themselves, there was a scuzzy bearded guy running a booth where you could buy just about any left-wing bumper sticker you have ever seen. Yes, Celebrate Diversity and Visualize World Peace - two of my favorite meaningless ooshy-gooshy left-wing sayings - were both to be found. And my favorite part of the tour? The Church of Obama (or is that Cult of Obama?) was out in force. There were Obama t-shirts being worn EVERYWHERE! I gotta tell you, it takes quite a courageous and brave soul to wear an Obama t-shirt in downtown Berkeley. Way to put yourself out there people! I'll tell you courageous: I should have worn my Viva la Reagan Revolucion t-shirt, complete with a Che-like image of Ronald Reagan. I bet that would have gotten some looks and comments (and possibly suckerpunches) as I walked down the street. My wife wasn't in the mood to nurse any violence done to me, so I kept the Reagan shirt at home.

After eating dinner, my wife and I walked back to the campus and found a seat at the top of the grassy area at the top of the outdoor arena to wait for the concert to start. As we sat there, a guy walked past me with the most vomit-inducing Obama shirt of the day. I tried to find a picture of one online, but I was unsuccessful. The shirt features headshots of four different presidents: Clinton, GW Bush, Nixon, and Obama. Under Clinton is the word "Smoker"; under Bush is "Spender"; under Nixon is "Schemer"; and under Obama's smug mug, it says "Dreamer." Awwwwwww. Pardon my French, but these people are batshit insane! I thought the Left was in love with Clinton when he was soiling the oval office, but as you can see by his description on the t-shirt, Slick Willie is yesterday's news. Even at his height of power, he has nothing on the Obamessiah. The uncritical adoration that these people have for Barack Obama is truly disturbing.

And then, it was on with the concert. We had lawn seating, which was at the top of the arena, but the lawn was so danged steep, that my wife and I decided to sit at the very top of the lawn where it flattens out. As you can see, this put us in the nosebleeds:

But this turned out to be a wise move, because it provided us with the following view, which could be seen above the roof of the stage:

Do you see it? Off in the distance? Let's zoom in a little more:

Yep, during the entire concert, we could see downtown San Francisco on the horizon, along with the Bay Bridge that connects the City to the East Bay where we were located. As the sun went down, the famous fog started rolling in:

I know San Francisco is as insane as Berkeley and is truly a social and political hellhole, but you would be hard-pressed to find a more physically beautiful city than San Francisco. I could stare at it all day.

By the way, in case you were wondering, my favorite Counting Crows song is A Long December.

Good Day to You, Sir

18 comments:

Darren said...

What, no pictures of the Telegraph Street Fair? Zombietime, you're not :-)

Anonymous said...

wife told you not to. You are the true hero of our times!

Anonymous said...

You truly are the ultimate hero. Never mind those who were brave enough to wear political T Shirts.. you were willing to risk imaginary violence by wearing a political T shirt until your wife told you not to. You are the true hero of our times.

Seriously, what is it like to live in such a state of paranoia that you imagine people would physically attack you for wearing the wrong T shirt?

You are an example of what is wrong with political discourse these days. It isnt enough for you to say "I disagree with these people." You have to go over the edge and say "These people with whom I disagree are evil and will attack me with physical violence."

In a more general sense, the claim is true on both sides of the political aisle. Neither seems willing to admit that the other group has good intentions and wants basically the same things; namely health, prosperity, freedom and so forth. No.. one side must hate America or not be "real America", or the other side must be Nazi warmongers.

Until that changes, the level of political discourse, and so governance in America will never rise to what it could be.

W.R. Chandler said...

To Ignoramus:

Read about what happens to conservatives who are invited to speak on college campuses, and then get back to me.

You are an example of what is wrong with political discourse these days. You speak with such imagined righteousness, even though you haven't the first clue of what you are speaking.

By the way, I fear the wrath of my wife much more than any scuzzy Berkeley lefty. (That's a compliment, Honey :)

Anonymous said...

OK.. please give an example of anyone who has been attacked for wearing a political t shirt..

Maybe you mean the woman who attacked HERSELF and blamed it on Obama supporters...

W.R. Chandler said...

You are not addressing my challenge: what happens to conservatives who express their views on college campuses? Check out what happened to speakers such as Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, David Horowitz, Jim Gilchrist of the Minutemen, and Bill Kristol when they tried to express their views. It has become common practice for these speakers to have to hire bodyguards when they give speeches on college campuses. Seeing as how I was on ground zero of one of the most leftist universities in America, and I am a nobody compared to the speakers listed above, why should I not be concerned about my safety if I wore that shirt?

Please give me an example of a leftist speaker who has been attacked by conservatives on a college campus.

And if you want to start comparing hoaxes like the one you mentioned, by all means, bring it on. You can start by Googling Kerri Dunn.

I suggest you take off your blinders and open your mind.

Anonymous said...

What happens is they get booed. They get protested. People wave banners at them. But that what happened when Barack Obama addressed Notre Dame? He got booed, protested.. people waved banners.

YOU specifically said that you would be ATTACKED with physical violence. Please give an example.

W.R. Chandler said...

WRONG! Either you tell the truth or I will delete any further comments from you, as you are approaching troll territory. I love debate, but you have to be truthful for it to continue. All the people I listed were not just booed. They were assaulted, either by having pies thrown at them, or in the case of Jim Gilchrist, he was physically assaulted when the students rushed the stage. Yes, they rushed the stage; they didn't just stand there and boo.

Do your homework.

Anonymous said...

Fair enough. I will leave you alone to imagine you are the big hero. Sure, walking onto a stage to protest is assault. If you say so. Hell, not even Michelle Malkin claims that the students attacked anyone with physical violence.

http://michellemalkin.com/2006/10/05/mob-rule-at-columbia-university/

Chanman said...

You might want to watch the video again; One of the Minutemen gets shoved back and then they have to retreat off the stage. And the pies and ranch dressing? You kind of shuffled past that.

Just one more question, Ignoramus: Would you be so blase' about this if the political affiliations of the speakers and the distruptors were reversed?

I'll answer that one for you. No. For your side, the ends justify the means.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
W.R. Chandler said...

Protecting our border by reporting incursions to the Border Patrol is not "violence" as you so hysterically put it. Again, more lies from you. Goodbye.

Anonymous said...

OK.. now you have strayed into the realm of lying.

"I'm not going to promote insurrection, but if it happens, it will be on the conscience of the members of Congress who are doing this," [Gilchrist] said. "I will not promote violence in resolving this, but I will not stop others who might pursue that."

THAT is what I was talking about. That is about as clear an adovacation of violence as you can get while staying within the law.

W.R. Chandler said...

Oh, so now you have changed your argument to violence being committed "within the law." It's so amusing to debate with someone who keeps moving the goalposts.

You went from saying they commit violence to now saying they advocate violence... within the law of course.

Anonymous said...

It is possible to advocate violence, as he clearly did while being careful to remain within the law. It is sad that such a man is someone you want to defend.

Of course, the fact that you can't read does not help. I did not accuse ANYONE of actually committing violence. I simply said that he advocated it. Sorry if that is a complicated issue for you.

W.R. Chandler said...

No, you said committed violence. Speaking of violence, you have still just skated right over the left-wing pie and ranch dressing attacks on conservative speakers.

And you still haven't told me about Kerri Dunn. Guess that doesn't fit your limited view of things, huh?

Take a hike.

Texas Truth said...

Who is this "anonymous" loser? He comes to someone's blog and trashes them and does not even have the decency to have a read sign-on name or a blog of his own. What a mook!!! PS: I LOVE how he ducks the Kerri Dunn question.

Texas Truth said...

Didn't Kerri Dunn do hard time for her "act?"