Wednesday, April 01, 2009

April Fools!

This week is a duty week for me. Every morning from 8:45 to 9:00, you will find me walking my post on the east side of the campus, chosen by me because of its dearth of students and quiet area.

However, just before the first bell rang, I noticed that things were not calm to the west on the other side of the quad. Students were converging on an area on the other side of a block of classrooms, and then I watched the principal and vice-principal walking there briskly with walkie-talkies in their hands. I didn't stick around to see what was happening because an all-call went out over the campus PA for teachers to immediately get their students into the classroom.

When it comes to middle schoolers, it doesn't take long to get the skinny on what happened. Seeing as how it is April Fools Day and all, a large group of students thought it would be funny to run around the campus together in order to get everyone else on campus to think there was a fight happening. So, the stampede was on. The problem is that once a stampede begins, it is very difficult to stop. The thundering herd ended up knocking down one of our Language Arts teachers and trampling her. When the principal and VP were walking briskly, they were walking to where the teacher was still down on the ground. I heard later that the teacher went to the hospital.

Wow! What a funny April Fools prank for these dipshits to pull. See me laughing? *sarcasm off*

What makes me additionally angry is that what I just told you above is really all I know, and what I do know, I found out second-hand from my students. All day long, we teachers never received a phone call, an email, or anything from administration letting us know what happened, or how the teacher is doing. After I got home from work, I kept waiting for a connect-ed message from the principal on my home phone, but one never came.

If I find out anything tomorrow that is worth adding to this post, I will add it. Otherwise, I will continue to be like a mushroom: kept in the dark, and fed a bunch of crap.

Good Day to You, Sir

4 comments:

Don, American Idle said...

Good grief, is your campus ringed by razor wire?

I went to elementary and high school, five years+ of college, and taught for twenty years, and never experienced a lock-down. What is happening to schools today?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've been in that situtation before. We have 3 fights break out at the same time; a Tet Offensive of sorts between two rival groups. After the fights stopped, one group became a seriously threatening menace, while the other hid in classrooms. It took about 20+ minutes to get everything to calm down, and the rest of the day was shadowed with nervous tension.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about it again: the most frightening aspect was that a teacher was trampled. Did not a single student help her up or try to protect her?

As far as Admin, I would have held a brief meeting. We get notification, but they seem like SYA documents.

Anonymous said...

Shoot, you need to teach in a small town: if you can't get the skinny at school, just go to the post office or the grocery store. You can find out anything! Somebody will know someone who works somewhere and will have the details before the Sheriff's office can get them.