Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"Titanic will founder"

As our economy continues to circle the drain and the dire announcements of the incoming administration continue to cause uncertainty, it is sometimes strange to notice that on the surface, nothing has changed. If you drive down the street, or look out the window of a Baja Fresh as I did while eating dinner with my wife, you will notice that people are still driving their cars, businesses are open and the lights are on, pedestrians still walk along plugged into their iPods.

This evening, as I noticed all of these sights while enjoying my Baja chicken burrito, the goings-on outside had an almost calm-before-the-storm quality about them. I happened to think of a scene from the 1997 movie Titanic, where the ship's designer, Mr. Andrews, tells Jack and Rose that Titanic is doomed:



Rose: Mr. Andrews... I saw the iceberg and I see it in your eyes... please, tell me the truth.
Thomas Andrews: The ship... will sink.
Rose: You're certain?
Thomas Andrews: Yes, In an hour or so, all of this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Just remove the word "ship" and plug in the word "economy" or "society." People are wearing life vests, but they don't seem too worried, being on an unsinkable ship and all. They are blissfully unaware of the disaster that is about to overtake "all of this" - this beautiful ship that surrounds them.

I truly hope that none of my worries come to pass; that once again, the American people can weather the storm and succeed in spite of all the icebergs put in their way by scheming, power-hungry politicians, including a particular iceberg named Barack Obama.

Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: