Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's not easy to defend a brutal killer

Just ask Benicio del Toro. He is a left-wing actor who plays Che Guevara in a just-released biopic directed by Steven Soderbergh. Based on past interviews, it is obvious that del Toro thinks Che was a swell guy. However, when pressed by a Washington Times reporter about Che's documented brutality, did del Toro stand up for his revolutionary hero? Hell no! He walked out of the interview.

Soderbergh, another extreme leftist, recently defended his cinematic hagiography, saying,
"I've had people ask me: 'How can you make a movie about a murderer? A terrorist?'" he told reporters. "What they don't understand is that I'm in support of everyone who appears on screen. I have to be. I take the position of everyone who's on screen. I'm not judging them one way or another."
What a crock of bull! I will be the first to admit I haven't seen the movie, but I have read reviews from people who have. Soderbergh essentially glosses over or whitewashes Guevara's atrocities and shows him to be the heroic guerrilla leader that he wasn't.

By the way, this movie is over 4 hours long! You would think that in that amount of time, at least some acknowledgment could have been made about the dark side of Che Guevara.

Good Day to You, Sir

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There *is* no dark side of Che. He's just misunderstood by you tools on the right.

"Luke, I am your father." Like Darth Vader. Misunderstood.

Anonymous said...

There is indeed a very dark side to Che. Thanks to declassified former Soviet KGB files and much more we know that Che was a heartless killer who sought the overthrow of elected governments. Additionally, he plotted with Raul Castro to kill Fidel if he did not come to the hardcore Communist cause after the Cuban Revolution was over. This too was in those KGB files.

I lived in Peru in 1968 when he was killed and I would love to buy a steak dinner for those that shot him! We knew a lot of what Che was doing next door in Bolivia!