Thursday, January 29, 2009

Coma? Try brain death!

In a recent post, fellow edublogger Mrs. Bluebird gave a quality description of students in their 7th grade year as going through "The Year of the Coma." Their brains are so occupied with growing and hormones, they cannot seem to think of much else, like, say, academics or forming a coherent sentence.

I wholly endorse Mrs. Bluebird's coma theory, but after reading a note that I found left behind in my classroom today, I would say "The Year of Brain Death" would be a more apt description. I am often amused by the content of student-to-student notes that I find or confiscate, but this one struck me with its particularly brutal brand of nihilistic shallowness. Keep in mind that this exchange was written between a 7th grade boy and a 7th grade girl who I guess (???) are friends. I have typed it exactly as it was written, and a big warning to the timid - the language gets severe:
Wuz up Nigga
your dum Nigga!
whats your point?
That you dum thats my point
So is u is more dumb than me
NO NIGGA YOU R.N FUK YOU !!!
when, were, and what time
NEVER AND NO TIME AND NO SECOND BITCH NO DAY!!
watev so hou u been
Good I guess! you
Same o day koo
wow u hella stupid
wat eve
ha I got a on hush cause you know its true
what eve FUCK YOU!
O.K.
I mean seriously. Seriously? Am I really supposed to be able to expect any kind of academic proficiency from these two? If they don't score basic or above on the CST in April, is it really my fault?

Good Day to You, Sir

4 comments:

nebraska girl said...

Wow. Just, wow...

Anonymous said...

Oh, quit whining and teach them Herodotus. In the original Greek.

W.R. Chandler said...

I whine, therefore I am. I should teach them that; at least it's based on Shakespeare.

W.R. Chandler said...

Wait a minute, that's not Shakespeare; I was thinking of "To be or not to be..."