Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Empress has no clothes

Instead, she has a beehive hairdo, a bunch of nasty tattoos, some weird little black curly things painted onto the corners of her eyes, one hell of a drug habit, and the crappiest music this side of Macy Gray.

I rarely, if ever, talk about pop culture on this blog, but I have to throw in my two cents on this Amy Winehouse character. After hearing her name bandied about in the media for the last several months - both for her drug-induced antics and her supposedly spellbinding music - I listened to some samples of her music, including her biggest hit entitled - appropriately enough - Rehab. Her so-called music is just awful; especially Rehab, which is supposed to be her best song so far.

I wasn't surprised when Amy Winehouse won five Grammy awards the other night. The Grammys became a farce quite some time ago.

My apologies to any Amy Winehouse fans out there if I have cut you off at the knees, and my condolences if you continue to listen to her "music."

Good Day to You, Sir

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my day, we had proper music! With words you could sing along to!
I must say though, I always find the scare quotes around music to be funny. It is rather arrogant to suggest that because you don't like music, then it is not REALLY music.

W.R. Chandler said...

Hence the term "pomposity" in my blog's byline... ";)"

Coach Brown said...

Actually, check out the history of the Grammy's and you will find that they are really good at picking excellent music throughout the years. I like Winehouse's music, especially Rehab. She has a great voice and can keep an almost classic tone. The lyrics? Please. Drugs, sex, and violence have been in lyrics for decades.

W.R. Chandler said...

Great voice? She sounds like Madeleine Khan singing in "Blazing Saddles".

I never said anything about her lyrics.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I were curious as to what all the buzz was about, so we searched for her on YouTube. Just plain horrible! Trying to sound black is the trend these days( just watch Idol), instead she just sounds sad. Your title nails it completely. The talented Joss Stone blows her away.

Hube said...

Sure, while music plays to taste, I'm still with Chanman on this -- Winehouse is a total hack. There must be thousands of legitimate musicians out there wondering -- again -- WTF??

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I had to look her up on YouTube also. Liked the actual music in the song, but she didn't do it for me. Wasn't real impressed with the "black jazz" sound she was trying to pull off.

But maybe I'm biased. Her look instantly reminded me of my cousin, Arlinda, who is the spot-on definition of a crack whore. Except instead of those nasty sores that crack heads get, "Miss Rehab" has stupid and tacky tatoos.

'80's music ROCKS!!!!......T