Saturday, January 12, 2008

Early bird voter

My wife and I received our absentee ballots for the California primary election in the mail this afternoon. Being the efficient people that we are, we have already voted, and the envelopes sit signed and stamped, waiting to be mailed tomorrow.

For reasons of pragmatism, I am registered as a Republican, mainly for the primary elections so I can exercise my miniscule influence on my wayward party. It was quite an experience looking down the list of Republican candidates and saying, "Nope... nope... nope...." A small part of me wanted to consider the biggest three or four names - McCain, Romney, Huckabee, and Giuliani - of the candidates who have a chance of being nominated and just choose one of them, but in the end, I stuck to my principles. I darkened the little oval next to Duncan Hunter. I know he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the nomination, but his views most closely represent my own, so that is who I voted for. A couple posts ago, I explained why I could not vote for the bigger names on the list, and I stuck to that.

I can already tell that the general election is shaping up to once again - in the words of my father - be a choice between an asshole and an idiot. It just amazes me that in a country of 300 million people, the current list of the candidates of both major parties is the best that can be presented to We the People.

Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: