Sunday, December 30, 2007

Riverdance rocks!

I went to the Sacramento Community Theater tonight and saw Riverdance. My wife and her mother saw it yesterday, but my wife didn't know that I have loved Riverdance for many years - I saw the VHS version - so, being the thoughtful wife she is, she bought me a ticket for tonight.

Seeing it on TV is one thing, but seeing Riverdance live is absolutely jaw-dropping. One thing that was hard for a clarinet player like me was to take my eyes off the musicians' fingerwork and actually watch the dancing.

In case you have never heard of it, Riverdance is a music and dance show featuring Irish step dancing and traditional Irish folk music, complete with fiddle and uilleann pipes, which is a smaller version of bagpipes that doesn't require the player to blow. A solo by the uilleann pipe player literally brought tears to my eyes.

I don't have enough good things to say about Riverdance. If you ever get the chance to see it live, do it! Here is the Riverdance website in case you're interested.

1 comment:

Don, American Idle said...

I'm sorry, but the bagpipes make my sphincter pucker, and the "Irish Tune" bores me to tears. As to dancing, that's just jealousy on my part, because I can't do it.

Happy January 1st (see blog).