Thursday, January 12, 2006

Warning: Making a Pilgrimage to Mecca May Be Hazardous to Your Health

I begin this post by expressing my lament that I haven't posted since January 3rd. I just ended a Masters Degree class on Tuesday night that was kicking my butt. Now that I have a bit of a reprieve for a little while, I can post more.

I read today about a stampede in Mecca that killed 345 people and injured almost 300 more. What is it with these people? Can you imagine getting so worked up about your religion, that you are willing to trample your fellow followers to death in an attempt to practice it? This stampede comes in the wake of a Mecca hotel collapsing earlier this week, resulting in 76 deaths. This is by no means the first time hundreds of Muslims have died during the yearly Haj, in which millions of the world's Muslims make their way to Mecca in order to fulfill one of the five pillars of Islam; all Muslims are required to make a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their life if they are financially and physically able.

Back in 1990, a stampede killed over 1,400! In 2004, there were 244 killed. Remind me to remain a Protestant. I like to think we are a bit more subdued.

Good Day to You, Sir.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if you are Muslim, and are able to, you are REQUIRED to make this trip??? Sounds a little cult-like to me.

T

By the way, nice to see you back on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Recommended reading: "The Haj" by Leon Uris.