Thursday, October 06, 2005

What is the Definition of Irony?

Why, I will tell you:
In the upcoming special election here in California, one of the propositions on the ballot is Prop 75, which, if passed, would require unions to obtain permission from its members to use their dues for political purposes. Here is the good part: The California Teachers Association is charging each of its members $60 in order to build up the funds needed to fight Prop 75 and the other initiatives on the ballot. I am a member of the CTA, and I don't want $60 forcibly taken out of my paycheck, because I happen to support Prop 75. Well guess what? The $60 gets taken anyway. Isn't this EXACTLY why people want Prop 75 passed in the first place? So you might tell me to just leave the CTA. To that I say, I can't. Actually, I can, but - and it is a big but - even if I was no longer a member of the CTA, I would still have to pay dues to them because they hold a monopoly on contract negotiations in this state. Since I benefit from any contract negotiations, I must pay dues to the CTA whether or not I am a member. There is a convoluted and drawn out process whereby you can arrange to have the CTA send you a refund of any dues that you pay that would have been spent for political purposes, but why should I have to worry about all that in the first place? Just don't spend my money on your stupid left-wing causes in the first place.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propogation of opinions which he disbelieves is sinful and tyrannical." The CTA and these other unions - usually public employee unions who shouldn't be allowed to unionize in the first place - should heed Jefferson's learned words.

Good Day to You, Sir

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, do not support the CTA, and refuse to join. Therefore, each October, the CTA must refund to me the amount of my forced dues that would go toward political purposes. Of the $600 they take from me, they must return almost half: close to $300! But, each year, I must specifically demand that they give it back. This is extortion, and my school district has a contract item that says I must be a member of CTA, or pay dues to them. So much for my freedom and right to work in this country that expounds on the virtues of liberty.