Thursday, October 13, 2005

Muslim Intolerance

In my 7th grade Social Studies class, we are currently learning about the history of Islam. That is always a touchy subject, especially when I have a Muslim student in 7th period who insisted to me and the rest of the class that Islam was never spread by the sword; it was only spread through trade and "sending gifts" to lands outside Arabia. I kid you not, that's what the student said. He is partly right, Islam did spread through interaction with other cultures that was precipitated by trade. But to deny the role of military conquest, occupation, and subjugation by Islamic armies is patently ridiculous. Then again, most claims by Muslims that I have heard lately are patently ridiculous. This kid is just learning the party line early on: "We are religion of peace. Islam never hurt anyone, we are just misunderstood." In my humble opinion, Islam is a cult. Don't worry, they are not the only cult out there, they are just the biggest. The way I figure, any religion that limits your contact with other people and their ideas is a cult. I feel the same way about some other "mainstream" religions such as Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, as they also limit their contact with "others". The town I grew up in had a disproportionately high number of Jehovah's Witnesses. When we would travel on the bus for band trips, the lone Jehovah's Witness student (a flute player), was not allowed to go on the trip, because there wouldn't be any other Jehovah's Witnesses on the bus. CULT ALERT!! If anyone is offended by this, then you need to worry less about what little old me thinks of you; you'll get over it. It's not like I want to have your religion banned or anything, or have to power to make it happen even if I wanted to. You go on practicing your religion as that is your 1st Amendment right, and I will go on thinking you are a frickin' lunatic as that is my 1st Amendment right. See? All better.

So how does Islam achieve cult status in my eyes? Allow me enlighten you: Last year, I had the aforementioned Muslim student for 6th grade Social Studies. In 6th grade, they learn about Judaism and Christianity. To illustrate the point that the Jewish Torah and the Christian Bible share the same space, and to illustrate that the religions are very similar, I have the students summarize for me the basic subjects of the first five books of the Bible (which is also the Torah - see the connection?). Aforementioned Muslim student told me that his parents wouldn't let him do the assignment because he wasn't allowed to touch a Bible. Not just read mind you, but TOUCH a Bible. Whoa! I am floored by all the open-mindedness and tolerance of the Religion of Peace (Sarcasm Alert!). We have read some passages from the Qur'an so far this year, and I have yet to have a Christian student - or any other student for that matter - tell me that their parents won't let them read (or touch) a Qur'an.

All this love and tolerance is not confined to the Religion of Peace. Last year when we were studying the origins of Christianity, a girl of Vietnamese heritage (and a Buddhist), walked up to me at the beginning of class and handed me a letter from her mother. She looked rather embarassed as she handed it to me. To paraphrase, the letter from Mom said, "I understand you are teaching Christianity in class. I thought we had separation of church and state in this country? I thought you are not allowed to teach Christianity in schools?" Sigh.... First of all, don't even get me started on the whole church and state business. Read the First Amendment and point out to me where it says the words, "separation of church and state". If you can find it, I will pay you $1,000,000,000,000,000. Back to anti-Christian bigot Mom, I turned the letter over and wrote this (I'm paraphrasing again), "Yes it is true, I am teaching about Christianity right now. So far this year, we have also learned about the religious customs of early man such as Neanderthals, the pagan polytheistic religions of the Mesopotamians and Egyptians, Hinduism, BUDDHISM, Confucianism, and Judaism. Now, in accordance with the chronological method of studying history, we have now arrived at Christianity - one of many religions we have learned about this year. Next year, the students will learn about Islam too, you close-minded, intolerant, ignorant buffoon." OK, so I didn't say that last part... but I wanted to.

Good Day to You, Sir

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, I just love the humor in the last paragraph!

Anonymous said...

FYI: I am a JW, I played flute in the highschool band, and I went on three different band school trips without any other JW on the bus.

Don't take one experience and brand the whole group of people...in any religion!

Thanks!

W.R. Chandler said...

To the above commentor:
The "one experience" I mentioned is just one of many experiences that I took the time to share. I repeat from my blog entry, you have the freedom to practice your kooky religion, and I have the freedom to go on thinking you are a kook for practicing it. That is what makes America the best country on earth. That is why we don't have people of different religions and cultures killing each other on any scale even approaching that seen in other countries such as the former Yugoslavia, Northern Ireland, or just about any country you can think of in the Middle East or Sub-Saharan Africa. If you wrote here looking for an apology for my views, you came to the wrong blog my friend.

God Bless You