Monday, October 24, 2005

God's Country



Now for something completely different...
I took these (and other) shots at a private estate near Bodega Bay on Memorial Day Weekend, 2003. I could not have asked for more perfect conditions. I am by far an amateur when it comes to taking photos. I have never had a single class, and I have never used any special equipment. One thing I have learned on my own is that my best shots tend to happen on days that are cloudy or when the direct sun is blocked. The clouds (or fog in this case) serve the role of those umbrellas that professional photographers use to mute the camera's flash. That top photo reminds me of one you would find on the sleeve of a Pink Floyd album.

I have always loved visiting the ocean, but I don't think I could ever live there. Aside from the weird people and the seeming dumpiness of most towns near the sea, I don't think I could handle the constant dampness. I grew up in a little mountain town that got 70 inches and upwards of rain per year, but at least during the summer, it would get well over 100 degrees. Living near the ocean however is just constant wet and damp, and for me, that negates the absolute visual beauty of the seascapes, cliffs, and woods that you find on the northern coast of California.

Good Day to You, Sir

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

absolutely gorgeous!