Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Shoeless Me

When I was a kid growing up in the mountains, I spent a good part of my summer barefoot. By the end of summer, the bottoms of my feet had toughened up so much, that they were impervious even to the heat of the blacktop roadways saturated by the sun.

Fast forward to adulthood, and shoes are a professional necessity now. However, my wife and I both enjoy going barefoot as much as possible; my wife even more so. When we get home from work, she can't get her shoes off her feet fast enough. I eventually get around to it, but she is absolutely religious about it.

Perhaps my wife is on to something. Wearing shoes is something we are so used to doing, it is very easy to not even think about the fact that we were not born with shoes on our feet. Perhaps God wanted us to go barefoot?

I tripped across the writings of a professor who says wearing shoes does nothing but expose your feet to fungus, deformation, and blisters, along with knocking the rest of your posture out of wack.

Here is a link to his website. On there, you will find a Prezi (a more improved version of PowerPoint) where he explains his views on shoes.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I like to go barefoot as well, I think this footage explains a lot about why we don't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexL5qaHJPA

Mike Nevin

W.R. Chandler said...

Ha! Touche'. I will continue to stick to going barefoot on my lawn.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.