Thursday, October 14, 2010

Finally! A World War I movie worth watching

Plenty of movies have been made about World War II, the U.S. Civil War, the Vietnam War. However, World War I has mostly gotten the shaft. The most recent attempt was Flyboys, which left me underwhelmed. I still await the day that Hollywood announces a movie about the Argonne Offensive - a two month bloodletting in the autumn of 1918 that killed more U.S. soldiers than the Battle of the Bulge and Iwo Jima, combined.

Until then, we can thank the Canadians for making their own movie about the defining battle for their country in the Great War.

The Battle of Passchendaele was fought in 1917, with the Canadians doing much of the heavy lifting against their German foe. This 9-minute scene is easily the most realistic combat scene I have ever viewed that showcases World War I, and is also one of the most realistic combat scenes I have ever viewed in any war movie.

I must warn you about extreme violence and language. C'mon, it's a combat scene for crying out loud:



"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear God.

Polski3 said...

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Most of that scene looks fairly historically accurate, from what I have read on the subject. However, I also understand that no movie or book can really accurately show just what those men went through. One of my grandfathers was in the US Army in WWI; the armistice was signed three days before his unit was to ship out to Europe from Camp Devers, Mass.

xiamenb2c02 said...

guess handbags. is an italian fashion label specializing in luxury goods for men and women.Welcome to enjoy designer and discount prada bags sale.cheap and model discount guess handbags. for free
shipping.welcome to designer cheap guess handbags. for quality guarantee.

World War I movies said...

Yes, this was a very decent movie. I wish movie producers would make more films about WWI. I'm looking forward to the new one by Speilberg.

Ravi Linkbuilder said...

Many sale sites is availabe in market but i think jabongsale.com is the best sale sites ,where you can find the more popular sale or offers on most popular brand. jabongcoupincodes.com ia also available for Jabong Copupon Codes.


Jabong

sengli kiu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sengli kiu said...

Greetings admin I like your topic, after reading your article very helpful at all and can be a source of reference I will wait for your next article updates Thank you, for sharing

sex shop
sex shop semarang
sex toys semarang
alat pembesar penis
vimax asli
obat kuat semarang
boneka sex full body
obat perangsang wanita semarang

Metamorfosis said...

Pelatihan SDM is a network marketing and training information or training an employee who has worked with many consulting firms and training institutions.
pendidikan dan pelatihan sdm, pelatihan akuntansi, sales marketing, manajemen bisnis, administrasi kantor, lembaga training motivasi, pelatihan sumber daya manusia, training manajemen, training sdm, informasi training, pusat pelatihan, pelatihan rumah sakit, training provider jakarta, training jakarta, training consultant jakarta, training center,

R Wearing said...

I used to wonder why my grandfather was so quiet.Why he was always drunk and cruel.This explains everything.

clipping path service provider said...

Your Blog is beautiful.The stuff you are using that is very useful and helpful....