Saturday, April 11, 2009

Totally random... but COOL!


I have always loved airplanes. Of course, I am most fascinated by the kind of airplanes that shoot stuff. Of that genre, my favorite is the A-10 Warthog. With all the sleek, swept-wing fastmovers that get all the glory, I love the simple toughness of the the A-10. Ever since the Gulf War of 1991, I have followed the life of the only Air Force jet in their arsenal that is solely dedicated to close air support for the troops on the ground. This lesson was learned from Vietnam when the Air Force tried to protect our troops by using supersonic aircraft that were built more for taking on other supersonic aircraft rather than trying to pick off infantry or armor on the terra firma. The Air Force (and the Navy) had the A-1 Skyraider, but while it was a wonderful aircraft, it was also a propellor driven aircraft, and technological advancements had begun to leave it behind by the Vietnam War got underway. That's where the A-10 came in. What sets the Warthog apart is this big old thing right here:

Say hello to the GAU-8/A 30mm cannon. In just one second, this thing can spit out 70 rounds of depleted uranium shells that will take out a tank, a truck, or even a building. The cannon's recoil is so substantial that it actually slows down the Warthog when fired. The best thing about this cannon is the sound it makes. It is an absolutely evil sound, but if it is aimed at you, you will never hear it, because the bullets will get there first. Just ask the Taliban fighters holed up in this hideout in Afghanistan. Watch the whole video, because there are two separate strafing passes:



I showed my son that video, and he said, "Daddy, that gun sounds like a toot!" I think I remember talk of retiring the A-10 after the end of Gulf War I. If that's true, I'm glad the Brass changed their minds!

Good Day to You, Sir

4 comments:

Texas Truth said...

I totally agree. I go to the Houston Air Show every year and love when they fly all the warbirds, both old and new. The A10Warthog is a killer aircraft. To quote my father "When you see that coming at you, you can only do one thing. Put your head between you legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

Law and Order Teacher said...

Chanman,
Ever since I was a kid I've loved aircraft. Hence, I went into the USAF. I hated guarding aircraft, but being up close and personal was cool. Anytime you build an aircraft around a gun that's nice.

I think you might be interested to know that the pilot essentially sits in a bathtub of armor to protect him from ground fire. Cool plane.

Darren said...

One of the first planes I ever wanted to fly.

It amazes me that to Air Force pilots, this plane is not sexy!

The Vegas Art Guy said...

That airplane simply rawks! And Darren I don't get it either, that plane defines intimidating the way an F-16 defines speed, or a P-51 defines elegance.

Here are my favorite all time air craft

1. P-38
2. P-51
3. F-86
4. B-25
5. P-40
6. A-10
7. F-16
8. Sopwith Camel
9. B-52
10. B-17