Saturday, March 14, 2009

Time to bring back a fading tradition

Pocketknives. They used to be something that men were simply expected to carry. I remember receiving one from my Dad for Christmas one year, and as a kid, I carried one quite often. Somehow, over time, I stopped carrying one. After reading this column, I have reversed course, and have added a pocketknife to the small pile of items that I stuff into my pocket in the morning. Not only to pocketknives come in handy, but they can also save a life:
...There was a time when the average boy, and the man he became, carried a pocket knife as a matter of course. As we have become more urban and less rural, many citizens have lost touch with the need to carry a knife. You see these pacified, civilized, emasculated citizens tearing at vending machine packages of potato chips with their teeth or their car keys. That would be comical, if not a bit sad... except that the stakes are a lot higher than being unable to open a Christmas present or a bag of pretzels. In some cases, the lack of the most basic technology results in the death of a human being....
I have probably 8 to 10 pocketknives that I have acquired over the years, and until I read this article, they were collecting dust in my dresser drawer. No more.

Good Day to You, Sir

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm often grateful for my husband's pocketknife. He steps in to open things for me or quickly fix or adjust an item with that gadget. The only time he leaves it at home is when he is on jury duty or we fly.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Mine is next to my TV in my bedroom. Maybe I'll stick it into my bag.

Anonymous said...

Carry one everyday.

George

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I have carried one for the last 6 years. I use it on a regular basis for repairing student lockers and other bits of furniture and equipment that are not maintained well.

The problem is, however, that I have had to apply for permission to continue carrying this useful tool at every new school, as it is apparently a "dangerous weapon". Furthermore, I have been challenged any number of times by various students who want to see the "blade" - and also want to carry one themselves. These students frequently make complaints that it is unfair that I carry one, and they are not allowed to - despite the destruction that these individuals already work around the school.

One particular student had just finished kicking in three lockers - jamming them to the point the hinges had to be removed in order to re-flatten the doors. I think that if this student (or his attitudinal kin) would be troublesome carrying a knife. I would never use the knife blade of my pocket-tool in a threatening manner - some of the students might.

Texas Truth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Texas Truth said...

I have one (a cheap multi-tool) in my desk at school, another in my truck console, and keep my Swiss Army Knife in my school bag. In addition, I also keep a small lock blade (about 2 inches) in my pocket at all times.

My father use to be very faithful to the knife-notepad-pencil rule. I have added to that list a small bit of dental floss (the smalls one you get from your visit to the dentist).

I also have flashlights in every vehicle (we have three), one next to both sides of every bed and in every room in the house.

I guess it is the Eagle Scout in me that always wants to be prepared.

Thanks for a great article.

Anonymous said...

I have a multitool, Along with several things hanging from a key chain. Once some student asked me about it. "I have to fix things in the lab." He countered it had a blade. "its a tool...and if you are concerned about safety I have acids in the back and I have chemicals that I can smear on your desk that will make your skin turn blue."

W.R. Chandler said...

"It's a tool":

I have made the same observation about these ridiculous rules about sharps on airplanes. Forget boxcutters, do people realize the damage I can do to someone's neck with a sharpened pencil?