Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Reconquista right under my nose

It's been there the whole time? Although it is on the opposite side of campus from where my classroom is located, in the four years I have worked at my school, I have had dozens of opportunities to walk by this mural:

In all those dozens of times I have walked by, I never took the time to really look it over until just the other day. What I found disgusted me. Do you see it? If you don't, take a closer look:

Ah, Aztlan! That mythical land that the U.S. robbed from the poor, pitiful Mexicans. While I freely admit that the United States did not obtain land formerly owned by Mexico in a totally "good faith" manner, you must also remember that what the United States did in 1848 was not some diplomatic anomaly. The Mexicans had taken the land from the Spanish, the Spanish had taken the land from the Indians, and the Indians had taken the land from each other. Life sucks, and land gets taken. If you can resist the invasion, more power to you. If you lose however, then as the generations pass, life goes on.

By the way, what are those trails of red drips? Is that blood?

Good Day to You, Sir

1 comment:

Law and Order Teacher said...

Wow, I wonder first who painted that mural and second, and most importantly, who paid for it. Your lineage of the southwestern US was well done. The Mexican-American War was a tough war but Santa Anna was complicit in giving up the land, even accepting a $10,000 bribe from the US at one point. The acquisition was a group effort that had been done countless times throughout history. What a shame.