Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Are they children of God or mindless animals?

There has been much controversy lately about middle schools in our country handing out birth control to their students, or considering doing it. Darren from RightOnTheLeftCoast (see blogroll) posted about it recently, and there was also a link on Drudge. Personally, I think giving birth control to middle school children - especially sans parental permission - is an absolutely horrible idea. As a teacher of middle schoolers, every day I watch this age-group make the absolute worst decisions one could ever contemplate. By and large, their emotional maturity has yet to even come close to catching up with their physical and cognitive capabilities. That is a dangerous combination of circumstances.

The common argument people make in order to defend the distribution of birth control to teens and preteens is that, "They are going to do it anyway, so we might as well make sure they are doing it safely." Horsesqueeze! How easily people forget that once upon a time, teen pregnancy was not nearly as ubiquitous as it is today. Young people fifty years ago had the same exact urges as the young people of today; human nature is human nature. The difference is that through parental, societal, and yes, religious pressure, the young people of yesteryear were much better able to delay gratification and not catch the diseases and early pregnancies that plague our youth of today. We must look at people - including our young people - as human beings blessed by God with the ability to know right from wrong, and to do the right thing. Animals don't have much, if any, concept of right and wrong. Animals just do whatever comes naturally, whether it is to kill and eat another animal, or copulate whenever the opportunity presents itself. When these do-gooder activists out there insist that teens and pre-teens cannot control their urges, that they are going to do the wrong thing no matter what we as a society say and do, then those activists are saying that our young people are nothing but wild animals with the morals of an alley cat. I think God made us better than that, and I refuse to sell people - and especially our young people - short. Again, I am not saying we don't have animal urges; of course we do! I am simply saying that we have been born with an ability to curb those urges. All it takes is the proper motivation. Unfortunately, the motivators of shame and disgrace have been removed in the last forty or fifty years, thereby making it more socially acceptable for teens and preteens to have sex. Now that is a shame and a disgrace.

This fits right into my position that I blogged about recently when I was talking about how microphones were offered up as the solution for teachers in Europe to be heard above their unruly students. Rather than present the students with the expectation that they will control themselves and not talk over the teacher, the chuckleheaded lefties of this world just dismiss these young people as simple animals who cannot control themselves, so therefore, modern technology must save the day.

Up to this point, this blog post has been all theory and philosophy. Just this week, I have seen the middle school sexual dynamic in action in a way I would rather forget. Yesterday, I confiscated a note from a male 8th grade student who was writing that instead of the in-class assignment he was supposed to be doing. I often privately read the notes I confiscate. I have found them to be an invaluable method of keeping my finger on the pulse of my school and my students. This note yesterday was a humdinger! In it, he was professing his love to his unnamed girlfriend, and he couldn't wait to see her after school at so-and-so's house (the parents must not be home yet at that time), and, oh yes, he was out of condoms, and he would pick up some more on the way to so-and-so's house. FOUL!!!

During my prep period, I called this boy's mother, and started off the conversation by saying, "This is a very uncomfortable phone call to make, but I would feel even more uncomfortable if I didn't make it...." And then I told her about the note and what it said. The mom asked me if the note mentioned the girlfriend's name. I told her it didn't, but after I read the note verbatim, the mom was able to figure out that it was the girlfriend the boy has had since last school year. The mom was horrified and told me that she was going to, "ride his butt when he gets home!"

Today during our department meeting, I mentioned this situation to my fellow social studies teachers. They knew the boy, and one of them had the girlfriend in his class last year. This teacher told me that a couple of times, he confiscated drawings she was making at her desk which showed a female form with a baby in her belly, and written above the drawing would be something like, "(Boyfriend) almost got me this month." This is when they were both 7th graders folks!

After hearing about middle schools handing out birth control, and after hearing about my story of the boyfriend/girlfriend at my middle school, I want you to ask yourself something: Did it make you feel any better that the 8th grade boyfriend was going to pick up condoms on the way to have sex with his 8th grade girlfriend? Or did you think that these two should live in a world where having sex at the age of 13 should simply not be an option whether they are using birth control or not? That world once existed, and I wish to God that it still did.

Good Day to You, Sir

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information. This is troubling to say the least. My children are only 10 and 8...also in a public school setting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information. This is troubling to say the least. My children are only 10 and 8...also in a public school setting.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what fantasy land you are living in. First of all, out-of wedlock pregnancies have occurred for as long as there have been men and women (boys and girls); ie, forever. 50 to 100 + years ago girls went away to visit aunt Tillie in the next state or else went to the neigborhood abortion quack.
Syphillis, and other std's occured often and Killed in the age before antibiotics.
I have 4 daughters with whom I speak frankly, yet age appropriatly with. However, if any of my girls felt they needed birth control and were too embarassed to come to me, I would hope there would be a caring, knowledgable, friendly adult with which to seek help from.
I have heard of girls being pregnant without knowing they were (mainly because they didn't know how you get pregnant) and delivering their baby in a school toilet, drowning it.
Ignorance is NOT bliss.
Condoms, and birth control are necessary to avoid unwanted pregnancies and std's that CAN STILL KILL.
I applaud the school systems that are offering a safe avenue for their students to get help.
I don't want my kids dying or ruining their lives because someone wants to make a point about morality.

W.R. Chandler said...

Nice straw man argument, but I never said that kids in the past didn't get pregnant. I said they were much better able to keep from getting pregnant.

Exactly the point about going to Aunt Tillie's: there was a necessary stigma about pregnancy back then that motivated kids to not have sex. Thank you for illustrating my point.

I'm sorry to see that you have such low expectations for our young people and our society. You are part of the problem, not the solution.

Good Day.

Anonymous said...

Where are you coming up with "better able to keep from getting pregnant"? Women got pregnant, but their lives were often ruined, or else they went to quack abortionists and often died.
Just because women were treated abominably, didn't deter premarital sex.
Children of these unions, were usually treated shamefuly. Something the antiabortion crowd doesn't want to remember. (Sure,Outlaw abortions, but who cares about kindness towards these kids) Such children were thought of as second-class citizens.
Why would anyone want to go back to times like that, unless they were sadists?
Incidently, men seldom had to "fess up" in times like that, so I presume chanman is male, given his longing for the good old days.
Stigma from unwanted pregnancy, if it exists today, can follow the male partner.
In this day and age, at least, protection is available, along with information.
Consequences face both partners now.
It seems, chanman, that you are not happy that women are not suffering enough for all the wanton sex going around.
My family is loving and my girls are intelligent. As such, they are provided age-appropriate knowledge by my husband and me to help them make wise choices in their lives.
Providing information to our kids does not preclude lower expectations of them! On the contrary, it allows them to make better choices.
I think allowing ignorance to flourish lowers expectations.

W.R. Chandler said...

Please show me that data that the unwed teenage pregnancy rate was just as high 50 years ago as it is now. By all means, show me.

Who says I want to go back to the "good old days"? There is this concept called the middle ground. One part of this ground that is not the middle however is giving birth control to middle schoolers without the consent of the students' parents. You are apparently willing to give up control of the raising of your children. I am not. So how about you not try to force your values on me. That's not so hard is it?

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

At the middle school in question, the parents allow their children to access the clinic where birth control is available. If the parent does not want to allow their kids use of that clinic, then the kids don't go. However, if after permission is given, the middle-schooler requires birth control, then it is given confidentially.
It is you who I do not want to force your values on me.
The school in question wants such a program, and the parents who do not wish their kids to participate don't allow them.
For you to imply that infringes upon your values is ridiculous. It also illustrates how people like you wish to cram YOUR holier-than-thou values on the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

ScienceDaily (Nov. 14, 2007) — A new study by University of Virginia clinical psychologists has found that teens who have sex at an early age may be less inclined to exhibit delinquent behavior in early adulthood than their peers who waited until they were older to have sex. The study also suggests that early sex may play a role in helping these teens develop better social relationships in early adulthood

Anonymous said...

Typical

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clipping path service said...

Your Blog is beautiful.The stuff you are using that is very useful and helpful.