Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lighten Up!

I am having major behavioral problems with my third period seventh graders. There are days - and today was one of them - that I spend so much time on individual discipline issues, that I never even get to the lesson.

Near the end of the period today, I had reached the end of my rope and just threw it out there and asked the class why so many of them were unwilling to behave, why so many of them find it necessary to act this way. One girl - we'll call her Sally - raised her hand and told me, "Mr. Chanman, you just need to lighten up", to which another girl validated with a bitchy "Thank you!" I replied to Sally, "When exactly am I supposed to lighten up when all I can do in this class is play policeman all the time?" Sally began to answer me, when two boys who are repeat offenders began loudly laughing about something. Sally yelled, "Would you shut up, I'm trying to talk!"

"Sally", I replied rather smugly, "You really need to lighten up."

Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: