Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Say hello to the newest member of my family


I recently posted a YouTube video of me shooting my other baby - my 7.62X39mm SKS. For my next rifle purchase, I thought I would dial down the power a bit and buy a rifle that I can use to teach my kids how to shoot, and the rifle you see pictured above is that purchase (I paid $148 on sale, with 10%-off coupon, along with a $25 background check fee).

Last Sunday, I took my son and daughter with me to Big 5 and purchased a Marlin 795 .22 Long Rifle. I had read reviews of .22's, and the consensus seemed to be that the Marlin was one of best. In fact, there seemed to be a mini-war going on between fans of the Marlin and the Ruger 10/22. The consensus was that the Ruger is superior if you are going to add a bunch of bells and whistles to it, but the Marlin was more accurate right out of the box.

This was also an interesting experience as it was my first ever gun purchase from an actual retailer. All my other guns have either been given to me or I purchased from a private owner. The paperwork involved was honestly not as bad as I anticipated. There was a rather thick form that needed to be filled out, but I only had to fill out the first page, and the dealer does the rest of it. I was rather perturbed, but not surprised, that I was levied a $25 fee for a background check. Golly gee, don't I pay taxes for the government to do things like this? What the fee essentially represents, is the government's petty piece of revenge - a punishment - for me buying a gun. They'll show me, right?

Oh, well. The fee is paid, my background is being checked, and I will be able to bring my newest baby home on April 5. Now I am saving up for a Ruger Mini-14!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

Darren said...

I have a plinking rifle :-)

Repair Shop Software said...

A different benefit of acquiring online is the reality that you can get to take a look at the repair management software items of as a lot of shops while you want all at the same time. This can certainly not be feasible when you are getting at your close by artka clothing retail outlets so you might need to decide on swiftly or have one thing which you had your eye for sometime snatched out from correct underneath your nose.