Friday, July 08, 2011

On to my next vacation

Not that I have blogged much this summer, but my paucity of postings may get more meager yet.

The family and I have already spent a week enjoying the zoo and beaches in San Diego this summer. Now, we leave tomorrow for a week of swimming and sightseeing at Bass Lake, which is about a half-hour south of Yosemite.

We have never been to this lake before, but we have seen it quite extensively on celluloid, as it was the location filming spot for the 1988 comedy The Great Outdoors, starring Dan Aykroyd and the the late, great John Candy. Let's hope I have a better time than John Candy's character. My brother-in-law will even be there at the lake with me, but he is nothing like Aykroyd's character!

During one of the days next week, we will be driving up to Yosemite. The last time I was there, I was too young to remember, so it will essentially be a first for me. I hope to take some amazing photos. I'm no Ansel Adams, but I figure you can't go wrong snapping Yosemite.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

3 comments:

Ricochet said...

I adore Yosemite!! I am old enough to remember when they did bonfire-waterfalls in the summers.

Anonymous said...

Bass Lake, just up the hill apiece, is a lovely spot. Last time I was there was for a wedding, right at lake side. You will have a wonderful time. Yosemite, of course, is its own world. I would recommend you go on a Tuesday, probably the least busy day. That said, any time during the summer is a busy day so go very early, trying to get into the valley by 8 o'clock if you are planning to find a parking place. Then just take the shuttle to all the spots and let the car sit. Yosemite Lodge dining room is a good place for lunch, just not at noon.And be careful around the fast moving water.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a nice post. I really enjoyed reading this. The content quality and conclusion is good. Thank you for the post. It's inspiring stuff

Online Learning