Thursday, April 14, 2011

California Teachers Association is planning on pulling a Wisconsin

Yet another reason that I am proud to proclaim that although I am a California teacher, I am not a member of the California Teachers Association (CTA). If I still was, my dues money would still be going to pay for what is scheduled to take place next month.

Although the infantile behavior by the public employee unions in Wisconsin was ultimately unsuccessful in achieving their goals, it seems that their California counterparts think they will prevail. Seeing as how California is in the grip of the political left in a way that Wisconsin is not, the CTA and their cohorts in the state's public employee unions are probably right.

The CTA has a plethora of activities planned for the week of May 9-13 of this year. To get a handle on all the fun, check out their online flyer that gives a day-by-day breakdown of their plans. My favorite is their quest for at least 300 volunteers to participate in a sit-in at California's capitol building in downtown Sacramento, with the sit-in scheduled to last throughout the week.

Seeing as how my teaching location is not too far from downtown, I will look into going down to the capitol after I get off work to see if I can record anything of note with my Flip camera.

I am a teacher in this state, and believe me, the budget affects me directly. That being said, I cannot agree with my fellow teachers and their precious union that there is not enough money in this state going toward education; there is plenty of money. The problem is that California's education budget is grossly misappropriated, mismanaged, and generally wasted away down countless bureaucratic black holes.

I will provide more information about this week-long event as it becomes available.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As one of our leaders in making, Darrell Steinberg, has said, "I guess, upon review, I've been a contributor to the spending problem in California." Can't you just hear him thinking on the one hand, "Oh, well!" and on the other, "Can't get reelected without that good ole union money and support." So, what about the school kids and their voting age parents Darrell?