Thursday, December 16, 2010

Victor Davis Hanson's California

I can think of few other people to describe the problems faced by the late, great state of California than Victor Davis Hanson; a native son, farm owner, and former CSU Fresno professor.

In an article for National Review, Dr. Hanson provides a wonderful narrative of what is wrong with California. You really need to read the whole article, but here are just some of many literary gems to be found:
I wanted to witness, even if superficially, what is happening to a state that has the highest sales and income taxes, the most lavish entitlements, the near-worst public schools (based on federal test scores), and the largest number of illegal aliens in the nation, along with an overregulated private sector, a stagnant and shrinking manufacturing base, and an elite environmental ethos that restricts commerce and productivity without curbing consumption...

It is almost as if the more California regulates, the more it does not regulate. Its public employees prefer to go after misdemeanors in the upscale areas to justify our expensive oversight industry, while ignoring the felonies in the downtrodden areas, which are becoming feral and beyond the ability of any inspector to do anything but feel irrelevant. But in the regulators’ defense, where would one get the money to redo an ad hoc trailer park with a spider web of illegal bare wires..?

California coastal elites may worry about the oxygen content of water available to a three-inch smelt in the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta, but they seem to have no interest in the epidemic dumping of trash, furniture, and often toxic substances throughout California’s rural hinterland. Yesterday, for example, I rode my bike by a stopped van just as the occupants tossed seven plastic bags of raw refuse onto the side of the road. I rode up near their bumper and said in my broken Spanish not to throw garbage onto the public road. But there were three of them, and one of me. So I was lucky to be sworn at only. I note in passing that I would not drive into Mexico and, as a guest, dare to pull over and throw seven bags of trash into the environment of my host...

In two supermarkets 50 miles apart, I was the only one in line who did not pay with a social-service plastic card (gone are the days when “food stamps” were embarrassing bulky coupons). But I did not see any relationship between the use of the card and poverty as we once knew it: The electrical appurtenances owned by the user and the car into which the groceries were loaded were indistinguishable from those of the upper middle class....
I think you get the picture: This state is screwed. Again, I highly recommend that you read the entire article. It is brilliant.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just took eight anti-depressants to counter the effect of that article.

I recently drove through that part of California and was shocked to see orchards laid to waste; trees cut down and laid on their sides in perfect rows. There were many signs posted saying "Congress Created Dust Bowl". I contrast that with the many fine boats I saw at the harbor of Marina del Rey.

Anonymous said...

I think Geoff N.wrote an important counterpoint.