Monday, November 15, 2010

Illegal aliens in California to get in-state tuition?

Let me get this straight...
If someone from Oregon attends a state college in California, he must pay the out-of-state tuition rate, which is significantly more expensive than what a student from California would pay.
However, if a citizen of, say, Mexico comes illegally to California and applies to go to a state college here, that illegal alien will only be charged the in-state tuition rate.
So says the Supreme Court of the supremely and increasingly insane nut house known as California:
The California Supreme Court decided unanimously Monday that illegal immigrants may continue to be eligible for in-state tuition rates at the state's colleges and universities rather than pay the higher rates charged to those who live out of state.

In a ruling written by Justice Ming W. Chin, one of the panel's more conservative members, the state high court said a California law that guarantees the lower tuition for students who attend California high schools for at least three years and graduate does not conflict with a federal prohibition on giving illegal immigrants educational benefits based on residency.
In-state, out-of-state, or otherwise, these people who are illegally in our country should not be attending our colleges regardless of what they are charged. I was just wondering - if a foreign student goes through the legal process of obtaining a student visa before he comes to the United States to go to college in California, does that student receive the in-state tuition rate, or is it only students who come here illegally?

California is becoming more like Alice in Wonderland all the time. Up is down, black is white, and wrong is right.

Don't worry, Jerry Brown will be taking over in January and will fix everything... that's sarcasm, folks.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson


Anonymous said...

My nephew moved down to CA from OR in June, receiving his CA driver's license in July. He's working at our mill until next July, when he then become a CA citizen. Then he's going to enroll in college. (You have to live in the state one year before becoming a state citizen). Just to avoid the out of state fees. But an illegal can come to the USA, illegally, go to a CA high school long enough to graduate, and is eligible for in-state tuition? That's truely f****d up.


Darren said...

This state is doomed.

And both of our retirements depend on the solvency of this state.

You and I--we're doomed.

Anonymous said...

So you are saying a kid who was brought here BY HER PARENTS--not because she herself chose to--when she was, say, two years old, and grew up here, and graduated from high school here, should be denied the chance to go to college here?

You weren't kidding. Wrong is indeed right.