Thursday, October 07, 2010

99% of social studies teachers give the other 1% a bad name

The statistics are not quite that bad, but they are pretty bad. Let's just say that with my views, I would not say that I am your typical social studies teacher, according to this article from American Thinker.

Read:
Nearly half of American history teachers believe it is less important that their students understand the common history, ideas, rights, and responsibilities that tie the country together as Americans than that they learn to celebrate the unique identities and experiences of its different ethnic, religious, and immigrant groups.

Advocates of radical "social-justice" multiculturalism in many university schools of education -- the places where most K-12 teachers are trained -- continue to oppose assimilation with a common culture while instead seeking to radically transform an "oppressive" America.

A new survey of public high-school social-studies teachers done for the American Enterprise Institute indicates that they have gained a strong foothold in high schools.

Another sign of the indoctrination of this radical strain of multiculturalism was the finding that 37 percent of the history teachers believed it was "absolutely essential" that they teach their students "to be activists who challenge the status quo of our political system and seek to remedy injustices..."
Of all the issues about which I teach, the one I think of which I am most proud is when I explain, illustrate, or demonstrate how destructive government can be to our freedom. Oh don't worry, all you statists out there, the textbook and the curriculum does more than enough to give my students the "Yay Government" side of the story. When it comes to these social injustices of which these indoctrinating social studies teachers speak, there is only so much injustice that one private citizen can do to another before it will be remedied one way or another. It is when the overreaching force of government becomes unjust; when government, with its monopoly on legal, deadly force begins to ride roughshod over the rights and freedoms of the people; that is when the greatest injustices can occur.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

1 comment:

xiamenb2c02 said...

Top quality of ecco shoes are developed for discerning customers.Enjoy a great selection of newest style.
ecco shoes on sale on sale,free shipping,110% price guarantee.Top quality of
ecco shoes is your best chooice for daily life and working,sport,and so on。
And hot sale now UGG Boots .