Friday, September 11, 2009

When all doubt was removed

At 6:03am PDT on September 11, 2001, my wife and I were getting ready for work, and as we usually did, we had the T.V. on so we could catch the morning news. On that day at that time, we were both looking at the screen, transfixed, as we tried to comprehend how an airplane could fly into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. It was at that moment that I watched the black image of a large jet airplane flash into the screen and then disappear behind the north tower. An instant later, a gigantic fireball burst from the other tower.

The human brain works in strange ways when confronted with a stressful situation. I will never forget my first thought when I watched that second plane hit the World Trade Center. My thought was, "Good Lord, there is an air traffic controller out there somewhere who is screwing up very badly right now." A few seconds later, the comments of the witnessing newscasters snapped me out of it when they said that there was no doubt now that all this was on purpose.

If you can stand it, watch this compilation of news footage of the moment when all doubt was removed that the horrific happenings of that September morning 8 years ago were no accident:



Good Day to You, Sir

3 comments:

Dan Edwards said...

I usually listen to the 7am CBS radio new report while getting ready for my day. That an airliner had "crashed" into one of the towers of the World Trade Center in NYC was in that news report, so I turned on the TV. I remember seeing it on CNN and thinking, "DAMN!" Then a second airliner hit the other tower. I knew then, the world had changed, as this was no random accident. I kept my very young son's away from it, and my wife joined me for a few minutes after she got home from her morning walk. She watched the news almost all day.

At work, a memo was awaiting us teachers ORDERING us to keep our classroom TV's turned off, we were not to listen to the radio, and should any student ask us about it, we were to tell them that "That topic is not in our standards." We were not to make our students worried about this event. History was happening, and we couldn't watch it or use it as a teachable moment with our students. Many of us have never forgiven that principal for her memo.

allinsmith said...

Many sale sites is availabe in market but i think jabongsale.com is the best sale sites ,where you can find the more popular sale or offers on most popular brand. jabongcoupincodes.com ia also available for Jabong Copupon Codes.



jabong

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.