Friday, June 05, 2009

Happiness is...

...having both my kids sleeping in between my wife and me in bed last night. My son and daughter came running in just after midnight when Sacramento was hit by what was easily the most violent thunderstorm I have seen in this city in my 11 years living here. The storm was on par with some of the monster light and sound shows that I saw in South Carolina when I went through Army basic training there in the summer of 1993.

Last night, the flashes were piling on top of each other; the rumbles, cracks, and crashes of lightning overlapped each other; and the Chanman family was huddled together on the king-size bed in the master bedroom, riding out the storm. Both my kids fell asleep with their hands over their ears!

Those are the priceless family moments that you just cannot quantify.

Good Day to You, Sir

1 comment:

Darren said...

It's been a long time since I've lived anywhere with weather like we had that night. Austin and I went out on the lawn around 8:30 and just listened to a continuous 5-minute rumble of thunder--you couldn't tell when one ended and the next started, it was just one long baritone boom. And the lightning--sometimes flashes, sometimes just lighting up the whole cloud-filled sky with a gray light.

Beautiful.