Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Sacramento Citizen

This city used to be a two-newspaper town. From 1851 to 1994, There was the Sacramento Bee and the Sacramento Union. The Union was known as the more conservative of the two papers, and when it folded, we were left with the mostly leftist Bee.

A couple of years ago, an attempt was made to bring the Union back, both as an online newspaper, and also a weekly freebie that you could pick up at newspaper racks around the city. They made a good go of it, and I know I enjoyed my weekly issue of the Union, but in the end, they just couldn't turn a profit, and they suspended publication a couple of months ago.

Now, another attempt is being made to provide an alternative voice in Sacramento. It is an online publication called the Sacramento Citizen. The Citizen will provide a platform for the views of some of our local conservative radio personalities, writers, and bloggers. I have submitted a piece as an education columnist - here's hoping it gets picked up. Regardless of that, I encourage my local readers, or anyone else who wants to know what is going on in Ground Zero for California politics, to check in on the Citizen. Remember the old refrain: As California goes, so eventually goes the rest of the nation. When California "goes," it usually happens with legislation passed here in our state capital.

Good Day to You, Sir

1 comment:

Darren said...

Maybe I'll submit my "Freedom Is A Little Piece of Broken Concrete" blog post--still one of my favorite writings. Thanks for putting the word out about this.