Monday, May 18, 2009

"Packing Heat"

That's how the news reporters described the potential trend, so I ginned myself up for another anti-gun diatribe from our local talking heads. Then they threw me for a loop.

First, rewind to this morning, when the pre-dawn darkness was awash with the sound of sirens about 4:30, waking up my wife and me. It was one of those times where you know something heavy is going down, because it seems like there were 50 different sirens all whining down the street at the same time. I had a busy day today, so I didn't have time to check up on what all the hubbub was about. When I got home, the first thing my wife said to me was, "Did you hear?" Just a mile or two from our house, up one of the major thoroughfares, a store owner had shot at two would-be burglars, killing one. The other accomplice tried to drag his perforated partner-in-crime across the parking lot before leaving the lifeless body behind and running for it. The surviving perp was arrested not too far away from the crime scene. The two criminals turned out to be brothers. Looks like they should have picked a safer bonding activity.

After I finished the season finale of 24 tonight (looks like Jack will survive for another season), I stuck around to watch the 10 o'clock news, and witnessed a refreshing surprise. After reporting the facts of the case, the street reporter then segued to a new but related story about how some shop owners in the same strip as the shooting were seriously considering arming themselves as a result of the rash of repeated burglaries and armed robberies that had taken place in the area during the last few months. The news reporters referred to this desire to arm one's self as "packing heat." When the news starts bandying about that cutesy little phrase, you usually know where this story is going on the bias-o-meter. However, the male talking head back in the studio ended the report with these words (I ran back the DVR and copied them word for word, just to make sure my ears were working):
And law enforcement officers say that if someone is on your property and you fear for your life, you have every right to defend and protect yourself in any way you see fit.
Wow! I am used to the standard boilerplate of If you feel your life is in danger, police officers urge you not to take matters into your own hands. They prefer that you call 911 instead and leave law enforcement to the professionals. You have probably heard something along those lines before if you have ever watched a news report about a self-defense shooting like this.

Of course, I have an idea of why the usual admonishment might not have been used at the end of this report, and that is the way the crime and act of self-defense went down in this case. You see, the store owner was inside his business and was on the phone with a 911 operator when the perps broke their way into the store. The 911 operator actually heard the shots fired over the phone. As you can see, calling 911 would have done nothing to help this store owner. He did the right thing and decided to risk being judged by twelve rather than carried by six.

Good Day to You, Sir, and nice shooting!

6 comments:

hobbitt said...

And things like that are why I am getting my concealed carry permit. 911 takes time. I live in a small town. What if the local police are as last week, helping state police. The low trend in the economy has caused a rise in violent crime as druggies and parasites have to go farther afield for money.
I have a right to defend myself. I even have a right to defend my property, I work hard for my property. Why should I cough it up for some pond scum? I am a citizen. Not only that, even if I hand over wallet and keys, there is no guarantee that the thief will not hurt or kill me anyway. My state has a very broad castle doctrine. On my property I am not required to retreat.

W.R. Chandler said...

As our society continues to degenerate, the whole "If I cooperate, he won't hurt me" belief is becoming more and more untenable.

These soulless, Godless super predators in our country aren't just killing their victims to help cover up the crime; they are doing it simply because they think it's fun.

Don, American Idle said...

. . . but I still would like to keep the guns out of the National Parks. My God, my children go there.

W.R. Chandler said...

Gotta disagree with you Don - there is no way no how in this God's green earth that I would venture into the wild without a firearm; especially if I had my children with me.

I am taking my son on a father/son camping trip this summer in the Klamath National Forest. I am taking both my SKS and my 9mm. The SKS will stay in the car, but I will have the 9mm on me at all times. The number one concern is mountain lions. Anything other than a gun is pretty useless against mountain lions.

Anonymous said...

and since when is legal advice from a cop of value anyway?

an academy with a week of criminal law lectures is not 3 years of law school and the Bar Exam.

non-lawyer cops who give legal advice violate the CA business and professions code.

Chanman said...

Yeah, what do those cops know about enforcing the law anyway?

I am going to assume that you are not aware that a majority of rank and file cops support the notion of lawfully-armed citizenry