Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Thanks for bursting my bubble, 24!

One of my few guilty pleasures of the fictional variety on television is 24.

There I was tonight, shaking with anticipation as terrorists are on the way to put the White House under siege, and Jack Bauer is - ahem - interrogating a suspect with a taser gun that Bauer had lifted off of a White House guard he pummeled.

Then cut to commercial, and what do I see? A PSA with Kiefer Sutherland telling us all about how the production staff at 24 has instituted changes in order to make their productions more "green" in an effort to combat "climate change." Oh, gag me harshly.

I clucked my tongue a bit when they cast that disgusting America-hating hag, Jeanene Garofalo, as an FBI office drone. But when you cut from Kiefer Sutherland acting like a deliciously sociopathic badass to him practically wimpering before the camera about so-called climate change, it seriously messes with my ability to suspend disbelief.

Isn't that what watching fiction is all about?

Good Day to You, Sir

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I stopped watching 24, what, the season before last (?), when that guy got his arm chainsawed off and kind of wandered under the bridge or whatever it was in the rain and died. I didn't even watch the rest of the episode.

Don, American Idle said...

I called them global warming "kooks" on local TV, but I live in the State of Jefferson.