Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Obamessiah's minions celebrate

I have never seen anything like it. The day of the election, I endured talk of Obama among my students all day long. Talking about it is fine, but it didn't end there. They were singing songs about him. They would be walking into the classroom singing, "Obama, Obama, Obama."

The next day, after ObamaObamaObama had won, the first thing I heard when I stepped onto the campus from the parking lot were some celebrating students yelling amongst themselves, "Gimme an 'O'! Gimme a 'B'! Gimme an 'A'!" and so on. Throughout that day after the election yesterday, I had to endure another round of singing about Obama; literally, singing. When I was in the 7th grade, Reagan was reelected. You couldn't find a bigger 7th grade Reagan fan than I, but I distinctly remember never singing songs about him. By 8th period, I could stand it no longer and reminded my celebrating students, "I just want to make sure, you guys do know he is just a man right?" I even told them the story I blogged about recently in which Peggy from Florida was already looking forward to a President Obama who was going pay for the gas in her tank and the mortgage on her house. I told the students that Peggy is going to be mighty disappointed in six months or so when she figures out that what she is hoping for is not going to happen.. or at least I hope.

All this celebrating by my students, and I already know from past conversations and class discussions that all that my students really know about Obama is that he is black. In the end, that was all that mattered.

Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: