Monday, April 28, 2008

To-Do List Overload

I don't even think I have made this officially clear, but the saga of the selling of our house is almost over. My wife and I have a buyer, and we ourselves have become buyers as well. Now we have begun the delicate dance of sweating two escrows while we prepare to vacate one house and move into another. At the same time, my wife and I have had to humble ourselves with home and pest inspections, where some guy with a clipboard and a digital camera walks around our abode and tells us (and our buyer) everything that is wrong with it. In the wake of the inspections by these diligent dictators, I had some repairs to do, and I spent this past weekend doing them. This would explain why I have been such a bad blogger. Here is just a partial list of some of the items that I - not exactly the world's greatest handyman - have done:

I spent this weekend patching a few holes in our rain gutter with galvanized sheeting that I had to snip, shape, and cement into place; I replaced a leaky sprinkler valve (actually, my father accomplished that one task) and two leaky outside hose faucets; I fixed a gap in our laminate floor in the kitchen; I put metal covers on a few exposed power outlets in the garage; I measured and cut a piece of sheetrock to fit into an open outlet to the attic that is located in our garage; I fixed a faulty drain in the master bathroom sink; and somewhere in all that, I mowed the lawn. By the end of the weekend, I felt pretty darned manly! I mentioned to my wife that it is accomplishing stuff like that that raises self-esteem, and not some authority figure tell you what a wonderful person you are, like what happens in our schools. I felt so proud of myself when I accomplished these tasks. It makes me want to take on more challenging and complex tasks once we move into our "new" house that was built in 1966. Isn't building the confidence to take on new tasks what building self-esteem is all about?

Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: