Thursday, June 14, 2007

Farewell to an inspiration

My Great Aunt Eunice died a few days ago. She was born in 1913, so she was 94 years old. In the past 30 years, I had seen her a total of maybe five times. However, Aunt Eunice left a very important legacy in my life, and that would be this humble blog. In fact, I mentioned her in my very first post that I wrote, almost two years ago.

I signed the Guest Book at Aunt Eunice's online obituary and explained her legacy this way:
To my Great Aunt Eunice,

I will admit that I only saw you regularly when I was a small child, and then only a couple times after that. However, I will always remember you for something very important. For my 18th birthday in 1990, you sent me a blank journal. After a couple months of hesitation of keeping a "diary", I finally gave in and began writing. To my surprise, I very much enjoyed it, and continued to keep a hand-written journal until 2001. Soon after that, I switched to blogging.

Writing down the important happenings in my life and my observations of the world around me would probably never have happened without your inspiration, and when I go back and read what I wrote almost 20 years ago, and see some bit of information that I NEVER would have otherwise remembered, I know I have you to thank.

Goodbye Aunt Eunice
Without the practice and confidence that came with keeping a hand-written journal for all those years, who knows if I would have ever had the gumption to start Buckhorn Road?

Good Day to You, Aunt Eunice

1 comment:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Bless all the Aunt Eunices in this world whose love for words is passed on to the children in their lives.