Monday, April 09, 2007

More penance for the white guy


So this is starting to become a pattern: white guy makes fun of black people, white guy apologizes profusely, white guy appears on radio show of some race hustling poverty pimp to apologize some more. First it was Michael Richards, and now it is Don Imus' turn to kiss the big black boot.

I won't defend what Don Imus said on the radio the other day; in fact, I don't really have much to say about it at all. Don Imus is a bizarre tired old man who I can't really even stand to listen to, even if I agreed with anything he has to say. I mean c'mon, what is with the cowboy hat and the duster that he wears while he does his radio show? And the last time I was channel surfing and caught his schtick on MSNBC, I could have sworn the man was drunk.

As offensive as Imus' comments were to some people, what I find even more offensive is that he went groveling to the feet of Al Sharpton, a man who has done more to hamper the progress of black people than Don Imus could ever dream of doing. Sharpton has still never apologized for the Tawana Brawley hoax, he is responsible for the deaths of 7 people as a result of Freddy's Fashion Mart incident in 1995, in which Sharpton was trying to get rid of a "white interloper" and Jewish "Diamond Merchant" in Harlem. One of Sharpton's myrmidons helped things along by burning the building down and killing seven people inside. Al Sharpton is a racist, a bigot, and a hatemonger. The fact that Don Imus went to him in order to apologize causes me to just shake my head and ignore the whole thing.

Good Day to You, Sir

No comments: