Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Brokeback Hollywood

The following article is entitled Plummeting 2005 Box Office Sparks Hollywood Crisis. For the last two years, box office receipts have gone down along with dwindling theatergoing. I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons; from DVDs being watched on home theater systems, to people being fed up with rude thoughtless moviegoers who won't shut the hell up during the movie. One factor that cannot be ignored is the dwindling quality and subject matter of the movies that are being released. The "gay cowboy movie" as people are calling Brokeback Mountain, is a prime reason for the loss of theater revenue. I don't care how good the acting or cinematography is, people don't want to see a couple of 1960s gay cowboys gettin' it on. Does that sound insensitive and behind the times? I sure hope so.

Good Day to You, Sir

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the past, I have spent many $'s and many hours in front of the "big Screen." Lately, there has been nothing up there to entice me. When I go, the last thing I want to do is choke as the latest "homo du jour" is crammed down my throat. I'd much rather eat popcorn. The movie industry can't figure out why customers are not buying their product??? Are they kidding??? Why don't they ask Mr. and Mrs. America, and listen when they are given the answer. Libraries and book stores are full of volumes of good plots and ideas. Why don't they use them?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with anonymous. I get tired of the oversexed drama or the gang banger shoot 'em ups. And they wonder why the theaters are swamped on weekends when a good family film comes out.

Not only are the movies not worth seeing, but the manners of some movie goers are sickening. Talking, open mouth chewing and seat kicking drive me up the wall!

This past weekend Saturday Night Live did a skit on this movie. It involved Alec Baldwin and an SNL cast member as prospectors who find "love" not gold. Not only was it funny, but it gave me the gist of the film and helped me realize that it wasn't anything I wanted to see.

T