Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Is there an AARP for Reptiles?


I found this Yahoo news story that was linked to the Drudgereport, and I just had to post it; I guess it's the history teacher in me that made me do it. The tortoise you see pictured above just turned 175 years old. That means you are looking at a picture of a living thing (that isn't a tree), that was born in 1830, and is still going strong! To put things in perspective, in 1830, the president of the United States was our 7th president, Andrew Jackson. Think of everything that has happened in American and world history from the time of Andrew Jackson to now, and that tortoise has lived through all of it - the Alamo, the Gold Rush, the Mexican War, the Crimean War, the Civil War, the Indian Wars, the Spanish-American War, both World Wars.... It truly boggles my imagination. If only that big girl could talk, the stories she could tell.

Good Day to You, Harriet!

No comments: