Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Education Blogs

I wanted to direct my reader(s) to the first two blogs on my links list: EducatioNation and Instructivist. These are the two best blogs I have found so far that are dedicated to the loony world of progressive education. In fact, Instructivist describes his blog as, "A critical look at the progressive education cult." EducatioNation is written by one Professor Plum, who is an actual professor of education in a college back east somewhere. Forgive me if my details are off about these two bloggers, as I found them pretty late in the game, and I am still sifting through untold numbers of their posts, trying to catch up. I love EducatioNation because not only does the good professor give his take on some of the crazy stuff going on in the world of American Education, but he is actually supplementing my professional development by giving away his knowledge of how to really teach students. He has written a multitude of posts whereby he tells exactly how to teach with the use of direct instruction. I actually used his lesson on the Greeks vs. the Persians when I taught about ancient Greece to my sixth graders last school year. I am forever grateful that I am receiving a quality education from Professor Plum that other people are paying thousands of dollars to receive, yet I am receiving free of charge. Lord knows I need his tutelage, seeing as how I have logged many hours in the brainwashing factory known as a school of education. I had to endure all that progressive constructivist crap when I got my teaching credential, and now I have returned for some more of the same as I began a Masters Degree program this summer in Curriculum and Instruction. I just finished my first two classes last week, and I start my new class next week. After my first two classes, I have plenty to say already, but I will save that for another post. I will say this: I cannot believe that they are still teaching the philosophies of John Dewey with a straight face.

If you get a chance, get a taste of the musings of Professor Plum at EducatioNation and the Instructivist. You'll be glad you did.

Good Day to You, Sir.

No comments: