Monday, July 25, 2005

Followup to the "Che Affair"

In my last post, I talked about the teacher in the classroom next door to mine who has a poster of Che Guevara hanging on his wall. Today, I got something in the mail that I ordered a few days ago that will be my response to his gross misjudgement of proudly hanging the image of a ruthless murderer on his wall. I ordered, and received, a red t-shirt with an image of Ronald Reagan on it where he is striking a very Che-like pose. Under Reagan's image, it says "Viva la Reagan Revolucion!" I'm not sure whether to just wear the shirt as a lark from time to time, or hang it on my classroom wall. I hesitate to hang it on my wall, because I don't want to try to influence my students like my next-door neighbor is trying to do. On the other hand, the image I would be hangning on my wall would be of one of our greatest presidents who brought freedom to millions of oppressed people around the world and saved our economy from the crapper here at home. That is opposed to hanging an image of a man who murdered thousands of Cubans and helped turn an island paradise with some internal problems, into a tropical prison of oppression that thousands of Cubans have tried to flee. Some of those thousands who fleed, paid with their lives. Perhaps when I obtain tenure next year, I will be a little more brave about hanging Mr. Reagan on my wall. Until then, I will wear that shirt every chance I get. I also own a shirt that says, "I'm a Right Wing Nut Job". You ought to see the looks that one gets when I walk down the street!

Good Day to you Sir.

No comments: