Monday, February 27, 2012

The miracle of modern technology

My sister-in-law is currently in India, staying the city of Chennai, which is in the southeastern tip of the country. She is there for ten days on work-related business.

Tonight, I watched my wife converse with her sister on Skype. My sister-in-law was on her iPad in her hotel room, and my wife was on our laptop in the office of our Sacramento home.

Web cams made it possible for the two of them to look at each other, and the sound was of such quality that it sounded like my sister-in-law was in the room. What really amazed me was the lack of delay. They were having an instantaneous, real-time conversation.

And she was in India. Absolutely amazing.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

No comments: