Fast forward to December 2012, and elements of the U.S. federal government (and some state governments, such as California) are considering the passage of similar laws that are meant to accomplish similar aims. In the wake of the mass shootings in anti-gun Aurora, Colorado and anti-gun Connecticut, Senator Dianne Feinstein (who unfortunately represents my home state), and the U.S. President himself, Barack Obama, have made it quite clear that they are now committed and determined to punish peaceable and lawful American gun owners by eviscerating their God-given rights of self-defense as guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution.
Feinstein and Obama would have moved on their proposed anti-self defense legislation already were it not for the Newtown massacre taking place during the Christmas holiday and the crunch time of the so-called "Fiscal Cliff" negotiations.
But come January 3rd, when Congress is officially back in session, get ready for an all-out assault on the right of the People to keep and bear arms that, according to the 2nd Amendment, shall not be infringed.
So what does Feinstein have in store for us law-abiding gun owners? Read:
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of: 120 specifically-named firearms; Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic; Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by: Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic tests Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
- Banning firearms with thumbhole stocks and bullet buttons to address attempts to work around prior bans
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by: Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
The 1994 "Assault Weapon" ban was bad enough, but this new proposed ban from the twisted, hateful, totalitarian mind of Feinstein is even worse. What especially makes this new proposed law more devious and unconstitutional than the old one is the requirement that weapons already owned will have to be registered and their owners will have to allow the United States federal government to crawl up their derrieres with a microscope like we are a bunch of felons or suspected spies.
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include: Background check of owner and any transferee; Type and serial number of the firearm; Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint; Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
Feinstein has been salivating for this moment ever since the 1994 AWB expired in 2004. All she needed was the kind of crisis that won't go to waste - in this case the horrific murder of 20 children by an evil Morlock who wasn't too worried about breaking laws against murder, never mind the federal and Connecticut laws against illegal possession and use of firearms. Believe me, Feinstein would go for the whole enchilada if she thought she could make it happen. Here is what she had to say after the passage of the 1994 AWB:
"Turn them all in." God, what a frightening woman.
And then there is our illustrious Hope and Change Agent, Barack Hussein Obama. Listen to him during his 2008 presidential campaign as he swore up and down that he wasn't interested in taking away anyone's guns, and mocked anyone who said different:
So, Obummer wanted to make it "absolutely clear" that "it just ain't true" that he wants to take anyone's guns away. Of course, from the moment he was elected in 2008, gun purchases went through the roof as we gun owners and other freedom-loving people who were paying attention knew that this day would come. And sure enough, here we are. Listen to Obama on yesterday's Meet the Press as he talks about his willingness to take away people's guns:
Naturally, being the politician he is, Obama would never just come out and say it, but all the code words are there. The magic words out of that 4 minutes of nonsense are, "I'm going to be putting forward a package, and I'm going to be putting my full weight behind it." That "package" would be Dianne Feinstein's declaration of war on our God-given right to self-defense. I am truly frightened by what the next several months portend.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never was, and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson